When you think about home-invading pests, you may think of rodents or bugs, but there is a species of pest invaders that can be quite troublesome to have around: birds.
There are three common bird invaders that home and business owners in Salt Lake City may be familiar with, pigeons, starlings, and woodpeckers. Identifying each species of pesky bird native to Salt Lake City is key to knowing what problems they might cause and how you might rid your property of them. Read on for bird descriptions and find out when to call the pest specialists at Pest Pro Pest Control for assistance.
- Pigeons: Pigeons vary in color but are often gray with two black stripes on wings and one on tail feathers, have red feet, and grow to be roughly 11 inches in size.
- Starlings: Starlings are dark-colored, with lighter-colored speckles covering their bodies. They have a yellow beak that changes color when the temperatures cool down. Starlings are roughly 8 inches long.
- Woodpeckers: Woodpeckers are roughy 6-18 inches long and vary significantly in color depending on species and sex. Male woodpeckers usually have red on their heads. All woodpeckers have stout bills they use for pecking at trees and other wooden structures in search of bugs.
The Dangers Of Having Birds In And Around Your Salt Lake City Home Or Business
A bird or two can be nice to look at, but having a bird pest infestation at your home or business can be a real problem. Having woodpeckers invade your property can be pretty damaging to your structure as well as the trees on your property. An overabundance of starlings or pigeons could create slip hazards from their feces.
But the most dangerous issue that comes from having pest birds around is that birds are known carriers of several diseases such as cryptococcosis, toxoplasmosis, salmonella, encephalitis, histoplasmosis, and food poisoning. These diseases are transferred to humans through contact with urine and feces, which is easy to do with a bird pest infestation.
A bird infestation at a business, especially a restaurant, could be hazardous, considering the diseases they carry. There are many bird control methods to combat bird pests, but the best bird control methods are provided by the professionals at Pest Pro Pest Control.
Tips On How To Prevent Pest Birds Around Your Property
Learning bird pest control tips to practice at your Salt Lake City property is one way to prevent a bird issue from happening. While bird pest control can be tricky, there are some things homeowners and business owners can do to prevent birds around their property:
- Address standing water issues in gutters, birdbaths, and other places where rainwater can collect.
- Keep trash contained in a well-sealed trash receptacle.
- Consider using sound devices to deter birds from congregating.
- Discourage the feeding of birds on your property. Remove bird feeders immediately.
- Address other bug issues that could be attracting birds to your property.
- Remove nests and reduce the chances of recurrence by inspecting your home regularly.
When To Call Pest Pro Pest Control For More Information
It’s always a good idea to call the bird pest control experts at Pest Pro Pest Control at the first sign of a bird problem. Our bird pest control experts have over a decade of experience and will assess your situation and customize the treatment plan based on your specific needs. Give us a call today!