Salt Lake City is the largest metropolitan area in Utah. Bordered by the sparkling Great Salt Lake on one side, with the other side bordered by the majestic snow-capped Wasatch Range. Whether a city dweller, a lakeside resident, a suburbanite, or a lover of the quiet rural life, rodents are scurrying about looking for an oasis that will supply them with a good source of food and water.
What Everybody Ought To Know About Rodents In Salt Lake City
Salt Lake City has multiple rodents that can cause trouble for residents. Knowing what to look for and habits they have is vital in preventing them from terrorizing your property.
Common rodents in Salt Lake City are as follows:
- Norway Rat: These rodents measure 7 to 9½ inches long not including their tail. Their hair is brown and bristly; it also has yellow, gray, and off-white color tones. Norway rats have small ears and eyes, and their tail is shorter than the length of their head and body combined.
- Deer Mice: This mouse measures 3 to 4 inches long when not including its tail. Their bodies are brown with a white underbelly and feet. It gets its name because it looks like a white-tailed deer. This mouse can climb and swim.
- American Red Squirrel: This is one of a variety of tree squirrels in the area, but it feels quite at home on the ground. It is about 12 inches long and has grayish, red, or rust-colored fur with a white belly. Its most noticeable feature is its bushy red tail with hints of a white outline. It has an eye ring that looks like a thick white circle around its black eyes.
It can be dangerous to have rodents around homes and businesses. They can spread salmonella and other bacteria, cause asthma attacks and irritate allergies. Rodents also carry disease-carrying parasites such as lice, fleas, and ticks that can transfer germs to people and our pets.
Little-Known Ways Rodents Access Salt Lake City Properties
Rodents typically invade homes when it starts to get chilly outside in the fall and winter. It is at this time that they start searching for food, water, and shelter. Their long history of dependency on humans shows up when they cannot get what they need outside and move inside to where people can supplement their needs. It does not take much to let them in. Mice can squeeze through a hole the size of a dime, and rats can squeeze through a hole the size of a quarter. Squirrels can access your building from the roof or the ground.
Why Are Rodents So Hard To Get Rid Of?
There are multiple reasons why rodents are difficult to remove from buildings. They are crafty, resourceful, and nocturnal; therefore, seeing them and catching them can pose problems. Since they are prolific breeders, early detection is crucial. Because of these difficulties, the most effective way to combat rodent infestations is by calling the pest professionals at Pest Pro Pest Control. We are a family-run business that takes the safety of people and pets seriously. With so many dangers associated with these pests, we make it our number one priority to guarantee your peace of mind. Request your inspection today!
How To Prevent Rodents From Infesting Salt Lake City Properties
There are steps that property owners can put in place to deter rodents from entering buildings. The best way to prevent future rodent infestations is by calling Pest Pro Pest Control for recurring professional guidance. Another measure property owners can employ is regularly inspecting their buildings, especially in the fall. Repairing gaps and holes inside and out is key to rodent prevention.
Look for gaps and holes in the following places:
- Around the foundation
- Around windows
- Under doors
- Around attic vents and crawl space vents
- In the roof area near rafters, gables, and eaves
- Around holes for plumbing, cable, gas, and electrical lines
Prevention is the best form of rodent control. However, if your efforts to keep these dangerous pests out of your home fall short there's no need to panic, just call the professionals at Pest Pro Pest Control.