Every Salt Lake City resident should know about the damage carpenter ants or termites can cause in their homes. It’s also essential to see if you’re dealing with carpenter ants or termites in your home.
Carpenter ants have segmented bodies like most ants, are usually red but can also be reddish-black, and are roughly ⅝ of an inch in size. Carpenter ants do not eat wood; instead, they chew through the wood to make their nests.
Termites are creamy-white to light brown in color and are ⅜ to an inch long. Termites do eat wood where carpenter ants do not. Termites are also harder to spot than carpenter ants because they tend to stay out of sight. Both termites and carpenter ants have winged swarmers, which are even more challenging to tell apart.
Read on to discover the difference between termites and carpenter ants and call the professionals at Pest Pro Pest Control for assistance.
Are You Unknowingly Inviting Termites and Carpenter Ants Into Your Salt Lake City Home?
If you find yourself with a termite or carpenter ant problem, you may be wondering what attracted them to your property in the first place.
Both termites and carpenter ants are attracted to moisture. Termites often invade woodpiles and then hitchhike into homes via the firewood. Their ability to hide out of sight makes the transition from outside to your home easy for them. Carpenter ants are also drawn to fruits and meats. Here are some tips to deter termites and ants from invading your home:
- Address Moisture Issues: Fix leaky pipes and remove standing water from the exterior of your home.
- Keep Your Outdoor Cooking Area Clean: This will help to help deter carpenter ants. Monitor gardens and fruit trees for signs of these destructive pests.
- Keep Woodpiles Stored Well Away From Your Home: Inspect the wood before you bring it inside.
- Inspect The Exterior Of Your Home Regularly: Look for places where ants or termites could be gaining easy access to your home. Seal up any cracks or areas where they could come in.
- Mud Tubes Are A Sure Sign: These tubes tell you that termites have made their way into your home. If you see mud tubes on the exterior of your foundation, do not try to remove them yourself. Instead, call Pest Pro Pest Control immediately for assistance.
The Destructive Nature Of Carpenter Ants And Termites And How To Spot The Difference
Experiencing termite damage or carpenter ant damage in your home can be pretty stressful.
Termite damage occurs quickly and often goes undetected in your home until the infestation is severe and a considerable amount of damage has already happened. Termite damage is usually spotted by the signs they leave behind, like small piles of feces that look like salt and pepper and discarded wings from the swarmers.
Where carpenter ants are not eating the wood and are just using the tunnels they create for nesting; you would more likely spot a carpenter ant if you have an infestation.
Call The Best Termite Control Company In Salt Lake City, Pest Pro Pest Control
The best termite control company in Salt Lake City is Pest Pro Pest Control. We have over a decade of experience and offer flexible scheduling options to meet all of our customers’ needs. Our excellent customer service coupled with our pest expertise make us the best termite control company in all of Salt Lake City. Call us today to schedule your first inspection.