They may be small, but ants are capable of doing an impressive amount of damage to both your house and your yard. This can include structural damage to your Salt Lake City home, as well as intense damage to your garden and lawn. Unfortunately, a lot of people don’t worry about ants, or they don’t even realize that ants are doing damage until it is too late. In addition to property damage, ants are also capable of biting people, and some can leave nasty wounds that sting a lot.
The Types Of Ants That Invade Salt Lake City Homes
There are several types of ants known to live in the Salt Lake City area, and they all do their own kind of damage:
- Fire ants: These ants love hot and dry areas like Salt Lake City. They are anywhere from light to dark red and prefer to hide out in your yard and porch. This ant is especially aggressive towards humans, and their bites are incredibly painful. They leave quite a mark; if you experience excessive bleeding, swelling, or a migraine, seek medical attention.
- Carpenter ants: These are known to be one of the largest types of ants, and the damage they cause to homes can be quite serious. They chew through wood to build their nests in, and, if given enough time to do so, they will chew through enough wood to compromise the structure of a house. Many homes are threatened and damaged by carpenter ants every year, and Salt Lake City homes are just as susceptible to this threat.
- Pavement ants: Quite tiny, pavement ants are usually not aggressive but will bite if they feel threatened. These ants will make their way inside your home in search of food and are commonly found in your kitchen, looking for crumbs and liquid spills.
The Problems Ants Can Cause In Your Salt Lake City Home
Ants are particularly good at becoming problems if given enough time to do so. Below are some issues they can cause for Salt Lake City homeowners:
- Contamination: As ants crawl on your counters, in your cupboards, and across your tables, they spread bacteria that can be harmful to humans. Since ants invade homes in search of food, they will typically be spreading this bacteria in places where you prepare, store, and eat food.
- Structural damage: Carpenter ants are capable of destroying the integrity of a home. By chewing through wooden beams, they can hollow out support systems and degrade the entire foundation the house is built upon.
- Yard damage: Outdoor ants are capable of destroying your gardens, flowers, and lawn by chewing on plants, building nests in your lawn, and attracting other insects to your gardens through the pheromones they secrete.
Easy & Efficient Ant Prevention Tips For Salt Lake City Homes
Prevention is always the best option when trying to reduce the number of pests that invade your Salt Lake City home, and it is no different for ants. To prevent ants of all kinds from invading your home, ensure you are cleaning up food spills, decluttering your pantries and safely storing your food, and sealing up entry points around your house. Make sure window screens do not have holes in them either. You can also trim back any branches or bushes that are up against your house, as this will discourage ants from crawling along the siding.
Safe & Effective Ant Control For Salt Lake City Homes
If you find that you already have an ant infestation in your home, call Pest Pro Pest Control! We have many years of experience preventing and treating all different types of ant infestations. Our expert technicians are trained to identify the many kinds of ants that call Salt Lake City home and use our state-of-the-art tools and treatments to safely and effectively exterminate them from your home.
Homeownership can be an overwhelming journey. Don’t let ants take the joy out of it for you. Contact us today — let us handle the pests for you.